Thursday, October 9, 2008

The economy. WTF?

Wow! To think that 1 year ago we reached our RECORD HIGH!!! Now one year later we are over 30% lower. Most of it coming this week. What will tomorrow bring? Will it drop again? My guess is yes.

I think each and everyone is just sick Sick SICK about what is happening right now and will CONTINUE to happen on Wall Street. I believe we are only beginning to see what really is about to go down with the US and the Worlds economy. The crap is about to hit the fan people. What can we do? Really?! What can WE do?!!!

I don't claim to know the answers in what our country needs to be able to get out of this downfall. I DO feel I know what we can do to start helping each other out as a society. We need to move forward. We need to continue living our lives and continue to give to our society and earn our money and put it back into the system. Anyone who has money invested in stocks or mutual funds has felt the effects and has lost money. People are pulling out, selling their shares, and freezing their accounts so that they don't lose more money. I myself have moved my money to more stable areas to stop losses. It hurts. My fear is that we will do exactly what happens in "It's a Wonderful Life" and pull all our assets out.

"You're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house...right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to build, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?...Now wait...now listen...now listen to me. I beg of you not to do this thing. If Potter gets hold of this Building and Loan there'll never be another decent house built in this town. He's already got charge of the bank. He's got the bus line. He's got the department stores. And now he's after us. Why? Well, it's very simple. Because we're cutting in on his business, that's why. And because he wants to keep you living in his slums and paying the kind of rent he decides. Joe, you lived in one of those Potter houses, didn't you? Well, have you forgotten? Have you forgotten what he charged you for that broken-down shack? Here, Ed. You know, you remember last year when things weren't going so well, and you couldn't make your payments? You didn't lose your house, did you? Do you think Potter would have let you keep it? Can't you understand what's happening here? Don't you see what's happening? Potter isn't selling. Potter's buying! And why? Because we're panicky and he's not. That's why. He's picking up some bargains. Now, we can get through this thing all right. We've got to stick together, though. We've got to have faith in each other."

I think George Bailey would say the same thing to us today(yes I know he is fictional). I am considering writing in his name for President in 27 days.
We can't panic. We must believe that things will turn around. It is VERY hard to believe in our leaders and those in office who are in control of our future. We can't control what happens on Wall Street immediately but how we use spend our money CAN have an effect eventually.

Weather you work in sales, construction, for a bank, own your own business, or work for ANYTHING relating to money being spent then you have DEFINITELY seen an change in the last year. I happen to work in sales have been hit pretty hard. I have suffered but not as much as the next guy. I am doin' alright. I have a buddy who owns his own construction business he has suffered as well. It is obvious that people are cutting back on their spending. This is a good thing. What I wish people would do is cut back on how much they spend that just puts them further and further in debt. Spending money is GOOD not bad. Getting into debt is what is bad. Spend within your means.

I guess why I am writing this and what irks me more than anything is when I have customers say they are going to buy from me but then they get FREAKED OUT cause of the economy so they back out. I don't and never have wanted to sell to someone who can't afford it. I never want anyone whether they be a family member, friend, or stranger to over extend themselves with their finances. I don't feel right about it. It gives me an icky feeling. People make their own decisions sometimes and I can't tell them how to spend their money. But when I see people holding out on buying cause they are "nervous" or "scared" cause of the crisis it makes me a bit mad. When this happens I end up not getting paid. When I don't get paid I can't put my money back into society. I eat out less or tip less and the snowball effect happens.

Please people! Don't get scared! Spend your money! I am spending mine. I am also saving mine and trying to use it wiser. I again want to emphasize that I DO NOT want people to over extend themselves and get into debt over their heads. That is BAD. Looking for good deals and being a little more cautious it GOOD!

This is my rant.

The end.

5 comments:

Sarah Kaye said...

Nice post, Fred! I LOVE the reference to It's A Wonderful Life. That very scene has come to my mind several times over the past few weeks because of all the hubbub with the economy. I completely agree with Mr. Bailey and you, Fredly. We just need to keep living our lives but staying within our means.

Just J said...

Its definitely a bit scary but I'm leaving my money right where it is and am going to enjoy all the great deals I am getting on the stocks I am purchasing right now! We have lots of time to let the market recover so no need to panic...Now if I was retiring tomorrow...I would be a bit more worried.

Freddy said...

THANK YOU JUST J!!! I think that is VERY cool of you. I put 10% of my check into my 401K still and I know I am taking a loss on the funds I am invested in. Just like you I am looking at it as a long term thing. I am buying in cheap and with the more I invest the more it will grow when the market DOES turn around.

Anne Gessel said...

PERFECT!!!! Love the blog, I might have to write in George Bailey as well. Oh, and you will be proud of me Freddie, I am helping, I bought a house. You need to come see it, and visit. Miss you!

Anne Gessel said...

The house is in Orem. So next time you are down visiting family call me. You never need an invitation. You are always welcome! Come over anytime!